Who is involved and procedure
A residence permit is issued to non-EU citizens, provided that the persons concerned have sufficient resources, at the level of fixed annual income to cover living expenses.
The amount of sufficient resources is set at a minimum of two thousand euros (2,000) per month. A non-EU citizen who wishes to obtain a long-stay national entry visa in order to apply for the residence permit must present himself in person to the Greek Diplomatic Mission or consular post within the jurisdiction of which he/she is legally residing and
• to submit the provisions of a) general and b) special supporting documents
• to be interviewed in order to determine the purpose of entering and staying in Greece,
• to pay the required fees as defined in the applicable national legislation (180 euros, subject to a condition of reciprocity, or a bilateral agreement or change by decision of the government).
General supporting documents
The long-stay visa (national visa – Visa D) may be issued under the following general conditions:
• general supporting documents and provided that the applicant for a foreign national of the third country presents to the competent Diplomatic Mission or consular post
• a fully completed and signed application form for a national long-stay visa, accompanied by a recent, colored photograph of the applicant, which must meet the relevant standards set by the ICAO.
• passport or other travel document recognized by the competent Greek authorities
• a criminal record certificate of the foreign authorities certifying the criminal status of the applicant in his country of residence.
• a medical certificate from a recognized state or private body, showing that it does not suffer from a disease likely to constitute a risk to public health in accordance with the international data of the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Union acquis, as well as other infectious, communicable or parasitic diseases, which require measures to protect public health,
• is not considered a threat to public policy, internal security, public health or international relations and is not listed as undesirable in national databases;
• has travel insurance, with a period of validity equal, at least, to the issued visa, which covers the costs that may arise in case of repatriation for medical reasons, for emergency medical care and / or emergency hospital care.
Duration and which others it concerns
Non-EU citizens may also be accompanied by their family members, who are granted, upon their application, an individual residence permit that expires at the same time as the sponsor’s residence permit.
If the non-EU citizen in question is accompanied by the members of his/her family, the amount of EUR 2000 shall be increased by 20% for the wife and by 15% for each child. The condition of adequate means of subsistence must be met either in the person of each member of the family or cumulatively for all its members.
The residence permit has a duration of two (2) years and can be renewed every two years and is accompanied by a fee of 1000 euros
This residence permit does not provide access to the labor market. Periods of absence from the country do not prevent the renewal of the residence permit, as long as these do not exceed six months per year.
Are you interested in applying for a Greek residence permit?